Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holiday Craftiness

There is so much homemade and homegrown stuff to celebrate around the holidays that I just can't find enough time to take it all in.  If only there were two of me...  sigh.  Anyway, since I'm limited for time, I guess I'll just pick one of the things that I look forward to most: decorating our house.  We don't go in for lots of outdoor lights, but indoors we go hog-wild with paper, scissors,tape, and paint.  Since I have a 5 year-old daughter, and she is always game for just about any kind of project (that's my girl!), we now have a ton of homemade decorations of all kinds.  For example, I'd guess that 90% of the ornaments on our tree each year are ones that we've made, starting since she was old enough to hold a paintbrush.  And, they're all really, really modest, but that's part of the charm.  You can always buy "fancy" if you spend enough, but of course its way more fun to go for colorful and creative and spend nothing at all!


Abigail helps make so many ornaments every year that we could
easily outgrow one tree.  But there's worse problems, right?
Grandma Skopec gets in on the action.
Every year we make a gingerbread house.  The trick is to keep the dog from eating it afterward.

What kind of stuff do you make for the holidays?  Gifts?  Food?  Decor?  I'd love to hear about it!  Feel free to leave comments, or hit me up on Facebook with your input.  How about holiday craft fairs?  Ever buy anything nifty at one?  Ever sell anything nifty at one?  My next post will be all about Craft Sabbath, the regular Craft fairs at Salt Lake's Downtown Library, so stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment