Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Simple & Practical Workbench that Looks Good too

I recently built this bench for a friend.  It was quick and easy, and didn't cost a ton either.  I used a sheet of 3/4" plywood, which ran me $25, then 4 2x4's (10' long) which were $5 each.  I also used 16 5" Timber-Lok lag bolts (more on those in a minute) which were under a buck apiece.  So, the grand total was about $60, and I definitely have less than 2 hours in it.  I didn't manage to get a ton of detail shots during construction, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

The finished bench was 60" long x 24"x deep x 34" high.  Vary the dimensions as you wish!


I began by cutting the 2x4's to length on my mitersaw.  I cut 4 uprights @ 27" long, and 4 crossbars at 24".  These were for the sub-assemblies that went at the end of the bench.  I joined the parts with Dominos, but 1/2" dowels would be a good choice too. I cut the ends of the crossbars at a 10 degree angle because I like the look but you could skip this step.






Once the glue dried on the ends, I remove them from the clamps and cut 4 stretchers to 54" long.  One pair went in at the top of the bench, and the other pair went in lower down, about 12" from the floor.  I used 5" long Timber-Lok lag bolts to secure the stretchers.  They have big, beefy threads that really make for a strong connection.





Bench heights are an enormously subjective thing- 33"-38" is generally considered the usual range.  I'm 5'8 and like a bench that is around 34-35" if that helps at all.  When in doubt, measure some of the work surfaces you already have and see what changes you might make.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just wondering how you secured the top of the bench to the frame. Did you just screw it down from the top??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's how I did it. Same with the lower shelf. You could also use pocket holes from below or Miller Dowels.

      Delete